Clueless on what to dress up as this Halloween? Well, you’re in luck because today we’re bringing you the best Halloween costumes ideas specifically for lesbians. Enjoy!
Be Proud on Halloween!
If you are a procrastinator like I am, then you may still be without a Halloween costume. Lucky for you, The Other Team has your back as well as some sweet lesbian/bisexual costume ideas for you to wear to whatever fun plans you have for All Hallow’s Eve!
- The obvious first lady on this list has to be Ellen Degeneres. Get a blonde wig, put together a nice casual outfit, then practice your Ellen dance moves and be set! Also, if you have a date, she can go out as Ellen’s wife Portia de Rossi. So cute!
- Another well known and out lesbian is comedian & actress Wanda Sykes. Again, a wig and an outfit and you’ve got a costume. You could even have a bottle of Gain, since Wanda is the Gain spokeswoman.
- Bisexual actress/singer/model and, more recently, jailbird Lindsey Lohan is a fun costume. Lohan dated DJ Samantha Ronson for a couple of years before the couple split. You have to admit, they made a cute couple!
- Superstar actress, LGBT advocate, and all-around badass Jane Lynch is another option for a costume. You probably know Jane for her roles as Sue in Glee, and Joyce in The L Word. Jane Lynch is married to Dr. Lara Embry, who is a practicing clinical psychologist.
I tried to include the most recognizable names, though there are definitely many more out there! Some other options could be Margaret Cho, Angelina Jolie, Evan Rachel Wood, Megan Fox, and so many more!
Movie & TV Characters
- This is the part when my inner nerd jumps out and dances around- are you ready? Two words- RAINBOW. DASH. Yes, though she is a children’s cartoon character, many in the “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” fan base like to think of her as a lesbian or bisexual. I definitely would be honored to be able to claim her as one of us! A fan favorite couple seems to be Rainbow Dash and Applejack. Best of all, she has awesome rainbow hair (err, mane?) and can fly!
- Any character from The L Word. Pick your favorite character and get into character for a night! Whether you and your partner want to be TiBette (Tina and Bette), Alice and Tasha, or (sob) Alice and Dana there are a lot of great couple’s choices from The L Word. Of course, there’s always the option to go stag: go as Shane, Max, Helena or any of the other loveable ladies from the show!
- Ramona Flowers & Roxie from “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World”. I’ll just ignore the fact that Ramona called her bisexuality “a phase,” and pretend that at the end of the movie she realizes boys are silly and gets back with Roxie.
- Though they are from the comics section first before movies and TV, Peppermint Patty and Marci from the comic strip “Peanuts” would make an awesome costume! I’ve wanted to do this costume with my fiancé for some time now, though I don’t know how I’d feel about being called “sir”.
- Tegan and Sara – Together these lesbian twin sisters Tegan and Sara make sweet, sweet music. They both tend to sport fairly unique hairstyles, so after you perfect the T&S ‘do of your choice, don one of their t-shirts and go rock!
- Many other Lesbian/bisexual musician or group options include Ani Difranco, k.d. lang, The Indigo Girls, Melissa Etheridge, The Butchies, Madonna, Bitch, Joan Jett, Courtney Love, Fergie, and of course there are so many more to choose from!
- Lady Gaga – She’s a pop icon, LGBT advocate, and is openly bisexual.
- “HD” (Hilda Doolittle) or Gertrude Stein would make a smashing costume for my fellow literature and poetry geeks out there! HD was a poet who ran in the same circle as Ernest Hemingway and Ezra Pound and was bisexual. HD is often seen as a kind of early trailblazer for women’s rights as well. All in all, she’s pretty awesome. Gertrude Stein was a lesbian writer and is credited with writing one of the first “coming out stories”. Gertrude Stein also ran with the circle of Hemingway and Pound and wrote many lesbian works, including some about her partner Alice B. Toklas. Gertrude Stein collected and loved art and was not only immortalized in her writing, but also in a painting by Picasso. Yes, THE Picasso. Even if they are not in your ideas for Halloween, hopefully they can at least be in your reading lists!
- For the political, there is always the option of dressing as a soldier from the military branch of your choice and jazz your version of the uniform up with a little bit of good old fashioned lesbian flair in honor/support of the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” which is a huge step towards greater equality!
- Also, if you are going in a group (preferably of 6) and would like a group costume idea, each member of your group can dress in one color of the Gay Pride flag! I’ve actually seen this done and know it looks awesome. If there are only, say, 3 in the group then the bisexual flag would also make a great choice! If you would rather go solo, wearing all of the colors of the flag would be a quick, easy, and AWESOME costume.
Alright! Well, I hope the cogs are turning and now you ladies have plenty of Halloween costume ideas. Once I started thinking of ideas, they just wouldn’t stop, so I tried to bring the list down into a more manageable amount of ideas.
If you spy any costumes that belong on this list then comment below and let me know. Also, if you ladies decide to use any of these ideas, please share pictures on The Other Team’s Facebook. I can’t wait to see your costumes and ideas! Have a fun, safe, and above all PROUD Halloween!
This article was written by Kerry, one of our newest contributing writers at The Other Team. Say ‘Hello’ to her in the comments below!
For those of you who are not feeling creative, you can take the easy way out with the witty t-shirt pictured above.
Click Here To Get The Lesbian Lifestyle Book.